SharePoint 2007 - The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send

MOSS 2007 ERROR:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
Event Category: Office Server Shared Services
Event ID: 6482
Date: 1/9/2009
Time: 10:11:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SCSHPT20
Description:
Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (3fe1930e-024f-4410-9a81-fbe5da068589).
Reason: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Techinal Support Details:
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.RunOnServer[T](CodeToRun`1 remoteCode, CodeToRun`1 localCode, Boolean useCurrentSecurityContext, Int32 versionIn)
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi..ctor(WellKnownSearchCatalogs catalog, SearchSharedApplication application)
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

REASON(s) You might get this error:
NOTE: There are few reasons you might get this error message, but I will only talk about why and when I got this in my FARM in the event log on every FEW server and how is fixed it.

>My FARM consists of 5 FEW servers, 2 App servers and 2 SQL servers (Clustered Active/Active)
>Upon completing my build, when I went to check my Search administration -> System status ->Crawl status -> Index status was showing errors for all three dedicated crawl servers.
>At the same time you will see the above error message in the event log.
>Apperently "Office Server Web Service" Webapp uses SSL over port: 56738 for inter server communication and even though during the MOSS installation you never selected to use SSL, it depends on this method to talk to other FEW servers in the FARM. So once I figured that out I tried hitting the office server web service URL directly via SSL port and sure enough I got the "Page cannot be displayed" error message. This forced me to check why I can't hit the service over this port and SSL certs etc.

SOLUTION:
> IT turned out that during the SSP creating process, MOSS generates a self signed SSL cert and adds it to the local computer store.
>It uses this cert to communicate over the SSL port.
>For some reason my cert got corrupt on all FEW servers, hence it wasn't able to use the Office web server service to inter server communication.
>I used the following utility/command to create and assign a self signed SSL cert - By the way this utility is part of IIS Resource kit:

IIS Resources\SelfSSL>selfssl /T /V:750 /S:951338967 /P:56738
/t puts it in the trusted certs store on the server

/v is how many days it's valid for
/s is the website id
/p i the port

Once I did this my index and crawl started working

Comments

Popular Posts